Saturday, April 24, 2021

Nature's Euphoria on Black Mountain Road


Wow! Wow! Woohoo! I'm glad we saved the best for last. This road is amazing. 

My husband Mark and I spent the month of February in Morro Bay, California in an Airbnb. We took our new Triumph Tiger motorcycle with us and enjoyed many day rides exploring and soaking up Central California's magical natural areas. On Tuesday, February 23rd, we rode the Black Mountain Road. Below is my journal entry from that day. 

Rock slides 
Turkey Flat Staging Area

We started our ride at the Turkey Flat staging area and rode up, up, up. We rode on a very narrow, paved path that skirts cliffs and mountains, peaks and valleys. Rock slides put obstacles in our path. The asphalt buckles and rolls in places.

I must say that this is the closest to nature I've felt in a long time. At the top we can see in every direction for miles and miles. Dense trees cover the ground below us - over hills and mountains that roll on and on in the distance, never seeming to end. I feel giddy, euphoric and keep smiling. The intense beauty almost brings me to tears. We truly feel on top of the world - connected to the earth and it's beauty all around us. 

Journaling in Nature

Now we are at a crossroads where a dirt road intersects the paved one. I got off to sit while Mark rides the dirt road alone. I'm sitting on a blanket in a grassy, soft area - completely enclosed in nature. Trees circle me above the shrubs and grasses. The wind whips in the cliffs behind me. Here the sun is warm on my arms and back. In front of me are two tall soft needled pines. To the left are gnarly deciduous and dead oaks, some with large bunches of mistletoe decorating their canopy. The sky is blue with wispy white clouds. Bright green grass is all around me. 


Total paradise!


Crossroads intersection

Mark at top of Black Mountain Road
Mistletoe in Oak tree

Climbing up Black Mountain Road


No comments:

Post a Comment