Monday, April 20, 2020

2020 Vegetable Garden Schedule



Today I developed a plan for when to plant the rest of my vegetables (and some flowers). I’m attempting to do all my gardening this year without purchasing anything new. This is partly to prove I can, and partly due to the pandemic (though there are exceptions for purchasing garden supplies).

Dad's seedlings
Therefore, I took into consideration the seeds and plants I currently have, planting area sizes and locations, soil and air temperatures, and experience. My Dad starts many plants from seed indoors (pictured), so a few of those are included. In addition to catalog seed orders, I have many old seeds that are still viable.  

Soil thermometer on 4-20-20
I have two vegetable garden areas and several herb locations in my yard. In addition to the new terrace vegetable garden (pictured), I am planning a three-sisters garden in a large sunny area. I’ll do an article later explaining what a three-sisters garden is and what I’m including in mine.

Terraced Vegetable Garden
University of Illinois Extension planting date recommendations categorize vegetables according to air and soil temperatures.  Soil temperatures were 55F this morning in my garden (pictured), and our average last frost date is April 18. Click HERE to consult your location Extension office for information specific to your location. 

Combining all that information with my past experiences, here is the plan I developed.

Radish seedlings on 4-20-20
Very Hardy Vegetables are planted March 25-April 10 in our area. I already planted radish, shallots, and peas in my new terrace garden. The radishes are started to emerge yesterday (pictured). 

Frost-Tolerant Vegetables are planted April 10-25. This week I’ll plant seed carrots, Swiss chard, nasturtium, and chamomile seeds (germinate in soil 50-85F). As soon as they are ready, I’ll plant Dad’s cruciferous plants (i.e. cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower).

Tender Vegetables are planted April 25 – May 10, so next week I’ll seed sweet corn (germinates in 55-90F soil), and maybe Dad’s tomato plants.

Warm-Loving Vegetables are planted May 10 - June 1 in our area. I usually plant these about Mother’s Day. This year that will include Dad’s pepper plants, and the following seeds that need 65-70oF soil: cucumber, zucchini, watermelon, beans (pinto and lima), and pumpkin.

Mandevilla vines in 2019
In previous years I’ve always purchased flower plants.  This year I plan to try a few more seeds in the ground, using seeds I already have in inventory. In the containers that usually have vining mandevilla (pictured), I’ll seed Cardinal vine, nasturtium vine, sweet pea, and thunbergia this week. As soon as the ground warms more I’ll seed zinnia, sweet allysum, and calendula in other areas. Dad also starts many flower plants, so I should have a nice display of flowers throughout the gardens.

In addition to seed catalogs and reputable websites, I highly recommend the Vegetable Gardening in the Midwest book from University of Illinois Extension. Updated in 2018, this book includes 100 major vegetables and herbs. It is available for $28.95 at pubsplus.illinois.edu.

No comments:

Post a Comment