Sunday, January 3, 2021

Unplugging with Nature at Loretta Lynn’s Ranch

For many years Mark and I have wanted to go to Loretta Lynn’s ranch. I have always loved her and her music and wanted to see her town and museum. Mark wanted to ride his motorcycle at a Loretta Lynn moto event. 2020 was to be our year, but as the April planned event neared, the Middle Tennessee Dirt Riders group had to postpone their 19th annual spring ride due to the pandemic. Luckily, the outdoor camping and riding environment allowed safe social distancing and we were able to attend the rescheduled event in June.

So, on June 25th we left for Tennessee. It was a long drive through the hills of Kentucky and Tennessee. We arrived in early evening, and after some confusion, decided on campsite #40 in the upper campground. A ranch worker – Chuck – came right away to help us check in and get hooked up. The upper campground is staged in a large, wooded area, so I thought this would be the quieter, cooler option. Wrong! To my astonishment the trail head for each day’s motorcycle trail ride, began just across from our camper. This was also a no-fire area, so we had to do all our cooking on the campstove, which was still good and fun.

Tour Hurricane Mills

This trip proved to be a great time to unplug and unwind. Before Mark’s riding event began, we had time to explore the ranch and Hurricane Mills town (Loretta owns the entire town). We first went through Loretta’s museum. So much stuff in there. Pictures, awards, guitars, song sheets, furniture, and so much more. More than we could see in one visit. I think what stood out for me were the Grammy awards, her first dress and guitar, and the dresses she wore on album covers. I got a little choked up being there. She has been my idol for so long!

We decided to take the guided tours since we felt safe with our masks and the small group. Derek, our guide, first took us to the Bucher Holler family home replica. Just an old shack, but it was very neat! There was a Navajo crochet afghan like I make, and lots of doilies in the museum.

Walnut tree by plantation home
Next, we got on a small tour bus and Derek drove us to the big plantation home. We were able to walk around the lower floor of the pre civil war home. It was very 1970’s. She collects lots of stuff: Avon things, salt & pepper shakers, dolls, iron pans, and more. I don’t feel so bad about all my stuff now. We each live in our own way, and that is okay. I liked her office where she wrote songs and painted.

Lots of plants stood out at Hurricane Mills. They had ornamental and edible landscape plants around the museums. Outside the plantation house was a huge old walnut tree. I wonder what it has seen through the years. Did it see the civil war soldiers, former slave, and such? I loved the houses front porch with all its plants, and how they were displayed.

Creek Time

Hops Tree
We spent many hours resting along a creek that runs through the ranch. It was so peaceful there. We were mostly all alone - just the creek, a scarlet tanager, Mark, and me. The first day we sat close to a little ripple area with the sound of rushing water. Mark fished and caught a couple small bass. I studied my plant books, journaled, and soaked in the nature all around me. In addition to the scarlet tanager, I saw butterflies, a hops tree, and heard a blue jay.



Alone Time

While Mark rode his dirt bike each day, I took advantage of alone time to hike, explore, journal, play my guitar, and watercolor paint. One day I visited the Patsy Cline plane crash site – a very solemn place.

Showy Skullcap
Another day, I went to Johnsonville State Park, I learned history about the civil war camps and battles there. It is also a quiet and peaceful place. No one else was there except the park employees and me. I started at the top and did a short hike where I found wild petunia. Back to the bottom I hiked out to a point on the water and around a large hill. Kentucky Lakes is still huge there where the Tennessee River also flows. Union forces held this spot for a few years. I took pictures of lots of different plants there (see them in google photos). They included a field pansy, fringed houstonia, trumpet vine, water hemlock, moth mullein, yellow water buttercup, American germander, 
showy skullcap, and water willow.

The motorcycles were loud at camp, so on the last day I ventured back to Hurricane Mills. Here is my journal entry and drawing from there.


"Finally, I found a peaceful spot. Sitting on a swing by hurricane creek in front of Loretta Lynn’s house. A bit overcast with a lovely breeze that blows the water’s coolness over me. I hear the water flow over the dam. I hear the birds and see swallows fly all over catching bugs to feed their young in the nests all along the under bridge. I smell the algae in the water and the fresh air. I feel the stickiness of my skin from the humidity. Yet it’s cool from the breeze. What do I see that brings me joy?"

  • The gray green water meanders around the bend and over the falls
  • The swallows
  • Buttercups and clover, willows and wisteria
  • Silence and no motorcycles
  • Warm sun and no rain
  • Joy in this moment in time.

Overall, it was an amazing trip. Next year’s MTDR Off-road Trail Ride is April 9-11. We plan to camp by the creek, since we now know there are camping hookups there. I can’t wait to camp by the creek and explore the areas spring flowers.  

More pictures from this trip are found in my Loretta Lynn's Ranch 2020 google photo album.

No comments:

Post a Comment