Sunday, January 15, 2023

Finding the Harbinger-of-Spring in Southern Illinois

As I move deeper into the canyon, I hear the sound of running water, birds calling and singing, and squirrels jumping around. Along the path are leaves of puttyroot orchid and another orchid-like plant. I wonder when they bloom. 


I listen and watch the water fall over the cliff making its journey to the creek and beyond – always moving. 

I explore up the rock wall to walk among the rocks, moss, and ferns. Deep in the plant litter small spring ephemerals are poking their heads out testing to see if it’s time to unfurl their spring – glorious spring – dress. Dogtooth violet, spring beauty, trout lily. I search for the harbinger of spring but have yet to find it. Thickets of pawpaw line the rock cliffs, heurchera perch ready to shout that "spring is here." Hydrangea, waterleaf, and many ferns do the same. High above me the massive – pencil straight – tulip trees hold onto last year’s blooms.

 

I’ve now ventured to Hawks cave. Lots of water trickles over the edge where soon shooting star will emerge. Atop Hawks cave cliffs I hear a crow call, cardinal sing, water trickles, dry leaves rustle. I see massive tulip trees soaring up to meet me. They tell me to enjoy this moment. I am one with them – a part of their natural world. I feel natures sprit around me – the green man starting to peek around trunks and limbs – teasing with his hide and seek game, yet happy that spring is almost here. 

This is what life is about. This is where I go to cleanse my spirit. Peace flows through my body in waves as it softens and relaxes each muscle – from chest to feet to hand to head. Through the chakras. A natural high that few experience anymore – a high without enhancements – a feeling given freely to us by the spirit of nature – if we only listen and take time to receive it. 

Later…I found the Harbinger-of-Spring (below)!! I’m so excited. As usual I stumbled across it after I’d given up. I got lost coming back from hawks cave and ended up on a fire road by a pony at a farm so I backtracked. Decided to climb and sit behind “boat rock” so people wouldn’t see me. As I climbed a spot of white caught my eye. On closer inspection I could clearly see the purple anthers. Such a tiny flower – easy to miss yet this miniature has a beautiful inflorescence. WOW! 

March 2019 at Fern Clyffe State Park in Southern Illinois.

No comments:

Post a Comment